Are you obsessed with musical theatre? Do you listen to showtunes all day – in your room, on the bus, when you study, with your friends, in the shower, in your sleep?
This one hour weekly class is for emerging singers in their teens who want to learn how to recognise and produce the vocal qualities used by top performers in musical theatre. Speech quality, twang, belt, lyrical, falsetto – you will safely produce them all and integrate them into broadway songs.
Some of the class activities will include:
- Playful exploration of a vocal structure or quality – for example, “What is nasality? Can we control it?? Is it the same as twang???” (Hint: Yes we can and no, it’s not!)
- Video examples of amazing (and sometimes not so amazing!) performances in these styles to analyse and geek out over.
- Group singing in harmony of musical theatre ensemble songs and scenes. There will be learning to do at home – you need to be the kind of person who gets excited by practice and comes prepared.
- An opportunity for students to share a work in progress (we ask you to “bring a problem”) and get coaching in front of the group so we all learn together.
- Discussion and preparation advice about upcoming auditions in our performing community.
- Homework, support and friendship in the private class Facebook group to help you make it through the week until next class!
This class is for motivated students who love musicals and want their own performances on stage or at an audition to be the best that it can be. By sharing your work and putting yourself in a room full of equally passionate young artists every week you accelerate your learning and have fun doing it.
My goal with this class is to create the learning environment I dreamed of as a teenager, and help you find your tribe of Musical Theatre Geeks.
Class Times: Mondays at 6.00pm
Cost: $40 / 1 Hour Class (Paid in full at the start of the term)
Location: 36 Raleigh St, Leamington, Cambridge
Places can become available at the start of a new school term – register your interest to be the first to know when registration is open to new students.