Are you obsessed with musical theatre? Do you listen to showtunes all day – in your room, on the bus, when you study, with your friends, in the shower, in your sleep?
This one hour weekly class is for emerging singers in their teens who want to learn how to recognise and produce the many vocal qualities used by top performers in musical theatre. Speech quality, twang, belt, lyrical, falsetto – you will safely produce them all and integrate them into broadway songs.
Some of the class activities will include:
- Playful exploration of a vocal structure or quality – for example, “What is nasality? Can we control it?? Is it the same as twang???” (Hint: Yes we can and no, it’s not!)
- Video examples of amazing (and sometimes not so amazing!) performances in these styles to analyse and geek out over.
- Group singing in harmony of musical theatre ensemble songs and scenes. There will be learning to do at home – you need to be the kind of person who gets excited by practice and comes prepared.
- A short workshop for one or two singers to share a work in progress (we ask you to “bring a problem”) and receive coaching in front of the group so we all learn together.
- Discussion and preparation advice about upcoming auditions in our performing community.
- Homework, support and friendship in the private class Facebook group to help you make it through the week until next class!
This class is for motivated students who want their performance on stage or at an audition to be the best that it can be. By sharing your work and putting yourself in a room full of equally passionate young artists every week you accelerate your learning and have fun doing it.
Student numbers will be kept small to ensure that everyone in the group gets attention (10 at the absolute maximum, although my preference is to start a second class if there is enough interest, and have fewer singers in each group).
You will have the opportunity to perform in two studio recitals each year to share your work.
My goal with this class is to create the learning environment I dreamed of as a teenager, and help you find your tribe of Musical Theatre Geeks.
Class Times: Saturdays at 12.00pm and Mondays at 6pm
Cost: $40 / 1 Hour Class (Paid in full at the start of the term)
Location: 36 Raleigh St, Leamington, Cambridge