Hi, I’m Scot.
I help passionate singers across New Zealand go from musical theatre super fans to emerging professionals and leaders in their theatre communities.
Whether through private lessons or group classes with other passionate performers, I’m here to provide you with mentorship, world class information and the confidence to share your voice with the world.
Alongside 10 years of teaching voice, I have had an active career as a musical theatre performer and director. Recent roles include Javert in Les Miserables and Mr Banks in Mary Poppins. Recent directorial projects include The Little Mermaid, I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change, Urinetown and The Scarlet Pimpernel.
My background as a working performer and director allows me to blend technical knowledge of the voice with artistry to cultivate outstanding performances.
My teaching is heavily influenced by the work of Jo Estill. Attending Estill Voice Training courses with internationally recognised expert teachers Anne-Marie Speed and Paul Farrington revolutionised the way I think about what is possible with the voice.
When you can identify the tiny shifts in the physical structures behind the sound, it’s like being able to see inside “The Matrix” – nothing is out of reach! As Jo famously said:
“Everyone has a beautiful voice… you just need to learn how to use it!” – Jo Estill
I believe in constant professional development. I believe in the potential in every student. I believe in kindness first.
Teaching Highlights & QUALIFICATIONS
- 10 years of private voice teaching
- Member of the New Zealand Association of Teachers of Singing
- Creator and lead teacher of the Musical Theatre Academy at St Peter’s School 2018-2020
- Voice tutor School of Media Arts, WINTEC 2019
- Voice tutor St Peter’s School, Cambridge
- The Actor’s Voice workshop for Sacred Heart Girls’ College
- Musical Theatre Teen Voice Class (Ongoing – I created the class I dreamed of being able to attend as a teen. It’s the best thing I do.)
- Musical Theatre Audition Skills workshops for Hamilton Operatic Society, St Peter’s School and public workshops
- Estill Voice Training Level 1 & 2 courses Paul Farrington (2014) and Anne-Marie Speed (2018, 2019)
- Singing For Non Singers workshops in Auckland, Hamilton and Cambridge
- DipABRSM (Singing)
- Bachelor of Arts (Theatre Studies)